Sewing With A Plan for Kids Clothes Week.
These are from various issues of Ottobre magazine.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Friday, April 5, 2013
Fabric: 1 yard Heather Bailey, Nicey Jane, Lindey Leaf - Pink
Notions: elastic thread
Total Cost: ~$4.50
Child's Age: 8
[Cardigan: Target; Salt Water yellow sandals]
I wanted to make the Trumpet Flowers Dress from the 3/2012 issue since I got it. I even got a hold of the fabric from the magazine but my daughter was too scrawny last year to fit into the smallest size. I meant to make it for Easter but I ran out of time, and I didn't want to be making it in a rush since I've been considering it a special project. So, instead, I picked the Hawaiian Flowers Dress #28 from the same issue and used a fabric from my stash. I was very pleased with it. I think she's finally at the point where size 128cm fits her! It worked out great for a casual Easter spent mostly playing out in the back yard.
I was going for something quick and easy, and it was. The only time consuming thing was learning to do the rolled hem technique on my serger. The tension on the bottom looper of my serger is pretty whacked out so I feared if I made drastic changes to the set up, it would never work again. Luckily it worked! Frankly, I was rather surprised that I pulled it off having never done it before and dealing with the tension issues. I also quite like the way my Kenmore does the rolled hem, by actually folding the edge under instead of chopping it off.
Another fun technique was the shirring. This was only my second time doing it and it turned out great except for the first three rows. I think I was going way too slowly and the elastic in the bobbin was slowly unwinding when I would stop. It ran out after three rows, and the succeeding rows from the new winding of the bobbin came out great. I also decided to change the top thread from white to yellow because it was hard to see while sewing. I mentioned this was a casual dress, right?
One thing, I don't know that 1yd of 44" wide fabric is enough for the pattern. In my haste, of course I cut the pattern wrong and was forced to cut the skirt section upside down and join two pieces at the back. Luckily, it's not a big deal with this patterned fabric on this dress.
I really liked the end result. It's a nice way to get a dress on Monkey Pants that she can still run around and play in. I tried to get a yellow cardigan at the last minute. There were some cheap ones at Walmart for $10, but I guess everyone wanted the yellow ones, they were all gone by the time I went back ... to three Walmarts.
Making things, sewing things, knitting things, and sometimes baking things.
makemestudio [at] gmail.com
Sites I Visit
more sites of interest