Monday, May 20, 2013

Passenger Trench

Pattern: Ottobre 1/2013 #31 Passenger Trench
Fabric: tight weave cotton; lining light green dot cotton
Notions: gray buttons
Total Cost: ~$18.00
Size: 128cm
Child's Age: 8

[Tights: White pin dot Old Navy; Shoes: Mud boots Walmart; Raaf en Vos]

It's taken me a while to post this one. Spring has gotten in the way. Weeding, biking, mostly weeding. But I'm so glad I got it done in time for the season.

I've been wanting to make Monkey Pants a trench coat for several years now.  I bought my first issue of Burda just for the child's trench coat. I painstakingly traced the pattern, bought the fabric and never made it.
She had a trench from the Gap I loved so much, she wore it for about four years which is like wearing something for half your life when you're child.

When I saw this in the Ottobre issue, I was determined to make it before she got to old for the cuteness of it.
I had a heck of a time finding fabric. I really liked the orange color in the magazine but couldn't find anything like it.  There was a whole incident at the Bernina store with the lady that decided to cut me down to size when I asked for help finding "cotton poplin". She told me there was no such thing. All poplin is polyester. Took me to some hideous 70's polyester. Yes, I had told her I was making a child'r trench coat. When I politely tried to get her to not help me anymore, she through her Major in Fiber at me. Insane.  Then I found this blood orange, unmarked fabric on sale for about $4.00/yd which I'm pretty sure is COTTON POPLIN and bought it.  Then she tried to force me to buy matching thread. It was horrible.  I barely made it out of there without blowing my top.

I'm sure she would balk if she knew that I didn't use matching thread ON PURPOSE.  I used hot pink. Yes people, hot pink with blood orange.  I would have liked to find duck egg blue for the buttons, but no such luck so I had to settle for these gray ones which somehow happened to be the most expensive buttons at JoAnn's.

I was very happy with result despite getting off to a disappointing start. I expected the welt pockets to go quite well but I they weren't as smooth as they should be.  The pattern markings simply weren't enough for me on this one. I also messed up by forgetting to do the double top-stitching on them and had to do the second line after they were already on.  It's not too noticeable though.

Here's a peek at the lining. It's white cotton with light green/gray dots.  A fabric I already had in my stash.

It was freezing when we took this photos. She was a good sport and was very happy when I told her to just put on a hat and that it was OK to be cold in the photo..

And last, I found a great source for European shoes and was so happy when they opened an online store. That is until I went to pay. I had to swallow hard several times before clicking the submit button.  I store these beauties in my closet to insure nothing happens to them and maybe they can become an heirloom her daughter can wear someday.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Blendtec facebook giveaway

Blendtec is having a Smothie Stash Contest on their facebook page.  Vote for our photo or enter your own for a chance to win a Blendtec blender.

I've been making smoothies for the kids for about a year and recently ventured into hummus. I even made my own tahini yesterday (for the hummus). Ironically, I didn't even know what tahini was before yesterday. I also made sun butter for my nut-allergy guy. It's a great way to ease your way into a healthier eating lifestyle.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Camera Dress

Pattern: Ottobre 6/2012 #33 Peilisali Dress
Fabric: 1 1/2 yds camera fabric Hobby Lobby; pin dot fabric Hobby Lobby
Notions: aqua piping, invisible zipper
Total Cost: ~$14.00
Size: 128cm
Child's Age: 8 

[Tights: White pin dot Old Navy; Shoes: Raaf en Vos; Cardigan: Target]
When I spotted this camera fabric at Hobby Lobby, I couldn't help myself, I had to make something with it.  Why not a dress. I picked out the white with black pin dot fabric for the yoke for a bit of contrast and also decided to add the aqua piping in between the yoke and bodice for a bit of color interest and playfulness to the black and white.

I think it's a fun dress, perfectly complemented by these shoes I was finally able to snag up from Raaf en Vos for the small price of an arm and a leg.

I made the size 128 cm which is probably still a bit big on Monkey Pants' slender frame but that's OK.  Aside from the little fabric variations, I did engage in a bit of totally unnecessary nonsense with the yoke. The pattern has a facing but I decided to do a full lining and then realized I would have to put the facing on there anyway to be able to finish the top edge. Overkill with lining the yoke. But Monkey Pants does have an appreciation for smooth seams.