Skip to main content

Passenger Trench


Pattern: Ottobre 1/2013 #31 Passenger Trench
Fabric: tight weave cotton; lining light green dot cotton
Notions: gray buttons
Total Cost: ~$18.00
Size: 128cm
Child's Age: 8

[Tights: White pin dot Old Navy; Shoes: Mud boots Walmart; Raaf en Vos]
---------------------------------------------------------


It's taken me a while to post this one. Spring has gotten in the way. Weeding, biking, mostly weeding. But I'm so glad I got it done in time for the season.

I've been wanting to make Monkey Pants a trench coat for several years now.  I bought my first issue of Burda just for the child's trench coat. I painstakingly traced the pattern, bought the fabric and never made it.
She had a trench from the Gap I loved so much, she wore it for about four years which is like wearing something for half your life when you're child.

When I saw this in the Ottobre issue, I was determined to make it before she got to old for the cuteness of it.
I had a heck of a time finding fabric. I really liked the orange color in the magazine but couldn't find anything like it.  There was a whole incident at the Bernina store with the lady that decided to cut me down to size when I asked for help finding "cotton poplin". She told me there was no such thing. All poplin is polyester. Took me to some hideous 70's polyester. Yes, I had told her I was making a child'r trench coat. When I politely tried to get her to not help me anymore, she through her Major in Fiber at me. Insane.  Then I found this blood orange, unmarked fabric on sale for about $4.00/yd which I'm pretty sure is COTTON POPLIN and bought it.  Then she tried to force me to buy matching thread. It was horrible.  I barely made it out of there without blowing my top.


I'm sure she would balk if she knew that I didn't use matching thread ON PURPOSE.  I used hot pink. Yes people, hot pink with blood orange.  I would have liked to find duck egg blue for the buttons, but no such luck so I had to settle for these gray ones which somehow happened to be the most expensive buttons at JoAnn's.



I was very happy with result despite getting off to a disappointing start. I expected the welt pockets to go quite well but I they weren't as smooth as they should be.  The pattern markings simply weren't enough for me on this one. I also messed up by forgetting to do the double top-stitching on them and had to do the second line after they were already on.  It's not too noticeable though.


Here's a peek at the lining. It's white cotton with light green/gray dots.  A fabric I already had in my stash.



It was freezing when we took this photos. She was a good sport and was very happy when I told her to just put on a hat and that it was OK to be cold in the photo..


And last, I found a great source for European shoes and was so happy when they opened an online store. That is until I went to pay. I had to swallow hard several times before clicking the submit button.  I store these beauties in my closet to insure nothing happens to them and maybe they can become an heirloom her daughter can wear someday.

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…