Skip to main content


Showing posts from November, 2009

Nesting ... or un-nesting

Being this is the third time around with the baby making and everything, enthusiasm hasn't been quite as high as the first two times. And I have to admit, I was wanting the third, and most likely last addition to the family to be a girl, maybe even a real girl (monkey pants is quite the tom boy). So, being told this was another boy after just having a boy in a relative short time wasn't as exciting as I would have liked. I've gotten over it though and I'm moving on, picturing sweet scenes of two little boys causing havoc, playing and conducting experiments by flushing things down the toilet together.

Anyway, when I was still delusionally hoping to have another girl, I was already starting to make a collage of colors, fabrics and decorating nick nacks in my mind for the new baby's room. After the ultrasound, I had to abruptly purge those images from my head and wipe the slate clean. But I haven't really come up with anything new for a baby boy. I just did a baby…

Newsboy Cap

Pattern:Crazy Easy Textured Newsboy Cap
Designer: Ele -Nutella Dreams Late Night Crafts
Materials: Knit Picks (a) Comfy Worsted; (b) Shine Worsted cotton blends
Amount: (2) 50g ball (a) October; (b) Caution
Needles: J 6mm (US10), E 3.5mm (US4), D 3.25mm (US3)
Cost: (a) $2.79/ball approx. $5.60; (b) $2.49/ball $5.50
Size: Adult size to fit 2 year old average head
Start Date: Nov. 15, 2009
Finish Date: Nov. 17, 2009

I saw this cute cap at a yarn store and immediately knew I wanted to make it for my little boy who could still use a couple more hats. Unfortunately, I was told it was crocheted which I don't know how to do. But I got the pattern and figured there was no reason I couldn't learn. After all, who hasn't made a long crochet chain when they were seven, right. So I did. I learned how to crochet -a little, just enough to make this cap.

The first attempts were pretty ugly as I didn't have a clue what I was doing. First, I thought it was supposed to be worked with a double s…

Koolhaas Hat ... finally

Pattern: Koolhaas
Designer: Jared Flood
Materials: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes (worsted)
Amount: (1) 50g ball 'Lake Ice' Heathered plus a tiny bit more
Needles: US5 Options Zephyr Acrylics 24" circulars and US7 16" Addi Turbo circulars
Cost: $2.19/ball approx. $4.40
Size: Knit per instructions (4 pattern repeats) except with one size smaller needles and lighter weight yarn.  Finished size fit a 2 year old average head
Start Date: Oct. 29, 2009
Finish Date: Nov. 7, 2009

I really wanted to knit a little winter cap for my little boy.  He's out of hats that fit and the one new one I bought for him through the Land's End catalog was too big and immediately snatched up by monkey pants

I thought Jared's Koolhaas pattern would be perfect.  I thoughtfully looked for a color that would go with his navy winter jacket as well as other outerwear.  I wanted to stay neutral, so he could wear whatever colorful shirts underneath without clashing, but I still wanted an inte…

Reversible Fingerless Mittens

Pattern:Reversible Fingerless Gloves
Designer:Cotton & Cloud
Materials:Knit Picks Merino Style
Amount: (1) 50g ball 'Nutmeg', (1) 'Fedora' (dark brown) and assorted colors
Needles: US6 bamboo DPNS
Cost: $2.79/ball approx. $5.60 plus assorted colors for stripes
Size: small
Start Date: Oct. 21, 2009
Finish Date: Nov. 4, 2009

I would have been done much sooner, but started on the Koolhaas pattern when I had the second mitt completely knit minus the thumb and grafting. I was too excited to get started and I really should have finished the mitts first.

This was a fun project. You knit up two mitts that are stuck together at the wrist and then turn one in so they are double sided and there are no seams. The pattern has an adorable flower embroidered on the solid side. Mine has nothing because these are going to be for a guy. I intend to make an accompanying girl's pair with the flower.

The crochet cast on was a new technique for me and the tip for using a contrasting co…