Skip to main content

Nesting ... or un-nesting

Being this is the third time around with the baby making and everything, enthusiasm hasn't been quite as high as the first two times. And I have to admit, I was wanting the third, and most likely last addition to the family to be a girl, maybe even a real girl (monkey pants is quite the tom boy). So, being told this was another boy after just having a boy in a relative short time wasn't as exciting as I would have liked. I've gotten over it though and I'm moving on, picturing sweet scenes of two little boys causing havoc, playing and conducting experiments by flushing things down the toilet together.

Anyway, when I was still delusionally hoping to have another girl, I was already starting to make a collage of colors, fabrics and decorating nick nacks in my mind for the new baby's room. After the ultrasound, I had to abruptly purge those images from my head and wipe the slate clean. But I haven't really come up with anything new for a baby boy. I just did a baby boy room. So what I'm trying to say is there has been no joyful buying and collecting of baby items. This poor baby is just doomed to received all hand-me-downs from the older brother. I think he might even receive the entire room from his brother being that the little guy just recently learned to climb out of his crib and will no longer need it by the time the new baby arrives in February.

So needless to say, my nesting instinct has not been activated ... at all ... what so ever. With the first two, I started collecting things before they were even conceived. BUT, just last week, I had an overwhelming need to clean up my craft studio (it's just a room, but I like to call it a studio), spurring up the need for several visits to IKEA for organizational items and obligatory manual labor from my husband. I haven't felt like cleaning or organizing anything lately, so when I got the urge, I just had to run with it. I'm much happier with my craft studio now. And despite the fact that the window sill still hasn't been attached and there's one small piece of baseboard missing two years after finishing this room in the basement, I'm still quite pleased. One of these days (in the next five years) I plan to take pictures of it to post.

After putting this room in order, I realized that maybe this is my misdirected way of nesting. Yes, the nesting instinct really is kicking in, just not in a directly baby related way. So now, I've suddenly had another misdirected nesting instinct to get rid of all my maternity clothes. It may not make a lot of sense, since I am currently wearing maternity clothing, but I just feel like getting rid of it, cleaning out my closet and getting new stuff.

Plus, I saw this nifty Photoshop action on a blog and I had to try it out. I think this is really what finally gave me the little bit of motivation for the dreaded task of getting all the clothes out of the bins and photographing it. (Unfortunately, I didn't have as much motivation to press it all. But whatever, it's still a nifty effect). And although I've listed them on a local classified site, if you can't resist one of these lovely maternity pieces. I'm willing to ship USPS Priority $4.95.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i