Skip to main content

Koolhaas Hat ... finally



Pattern: Koolhaas
Designer: Jared Flood
Materials: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes (worsted)
Amount: (1) 50g ball 'Lake Ice' Heathered plus a tiny bit more
Needles: US5 Options Zephyr Acrylics 24" circulars and US7 16" Addi Turbo circulars
Cost: $2.19/ball approx. $4.40
Size: Knit per instructions (4 pattern repeats) except with one size smaller needles and lighter weight yarn.  Finished size fit a 2 year old average head
Start Date: Oct. 29, 2009
Finish Date: Nov. 7, 2009

I really wanted to knit a little winter cap for my little boy.  He's out of hats that fit and the one new one I bought for him through the Land's End catalog was too big and immediately snatched up by monkey pants

I thought Jared's Koolhaas pattern would be perfect.  I thoughtfully looked for a color that would go with his navy winter jacket as well as other outerwear.  I wanted to stay neutral, so he could wear whatever colorful shirts underneath without clashing, but I still wanted an interesting enough color that would contrast with his jacket and brown hair/brown eyes complexion.  I love, love, love the variagated look of the Malabrigo yarn often shown on brooklyntweed, but I don't think it's sold anywhere locally and it looks to be too expensive for me right now anyway.  So I found the perfect compromise at KnitPicks, this light heathered gray color in 100% Peruvian Highland wool.  I would have prefered merino wool, but there were no heathered colors available in that line.  This wool yarn is a bit rough but knit up fine.  It did wear on my fingers a bit. 


The only thing I wasn't too happy with was that the crossing knit stitches look kind of uneven, some little, some big.  I don't know if that's my poor knitting skill or the yarn.  I'm choosing to blame it mostly on the yarn but I won't know for sure until I make another one with a different yarn.

I was so excited to make this hat for my little boy that I didn't even finish my fingerless mittens that were almost done in order to cast on and get this project underway. For days, I couldn't even figure out how to adapt the pattern to make this hat smaller for my two year old.  Not to mention, I didn't know how to read the chart or interpret most of the abbreviations.  Really, it would have been nice to have just a couple of lines of explanations for beginner/intermediate knitters and a tiny glossary section.  I guess, I chose to ignore the intermediate/advanced skill level required for this pattern. But really, once you gain an understanding of these things, which only requires that someone tell you, the hat is not hard to knit at all. It's totally doable for an intermediate knitter.


Tips:

  • When knitting in the round, chart is to be read from Right to Left on every row, so that each stitch is seen the way the knitting is seen on the needles.


  • When moving on to next row, you will always be knitting knit stitches, and purling purl stitches throughout the pattern. It's only when you get to the end of the final crown decreases that this may no longer be true


  • Although, there are explanations for the symbols used in the chart, as a beginner, I would have found it helpful to have everything spelled out --
    sl = slip
    cn = cable needle
    k1tbl = knit 1 through back loop
    k2tbl = knit 2 stitches through back loop one at a time (not a decrease)
    k2tog = knit 2 stitches together (to form a decrease)
    psso = pass slipped stitch over
    ssk = slip slip knit (knitting these 2 stitches together to decrease)


  • When working decreasing rounds and no longer following chart, remember to refer to chart explanations for the cabled stitch abbreviations




  • I tried to knit up a swatch, but since I was reading the chart completely the wrong way, the stitches were all messed up and it was pretty worthless.  So I decided to just get started and use the trial and error method which I wound up using more times than I would have liked. I think in total, I started this project over four times.  The first time, I was using US4 and US6 needles casting on 88 stitches and it was clearly too small.

    The second time, I used US4 and US7 needles casting on 96 stitches, thought I was following the pattern correctly, but clearly shouldn't have been knitting while watching TV.  Sadly, after who knows how many hours of knitting, I discovered I had failed to cross some stitches further below.  I slaved so much to get to this point, I didn't want to unravel it so I tried to get my Mom to fix the messed up stitches for me without unraveling the whole thing (I think there's a term for this but I don't know what it is).  She tried, she really did, and I thought she was successful.  I went home to continue, only to realize, there were still issues.  So I unraveled to the rib and started the pattern over.

    That was the third time.  With just three pattern repeats, I finished the hat this time only to realize it was way too small.  On the bright side, it's my first baby knit for my new baby coming in February.  Hopefully this wool is not too scratchy for a newborn.


    So, if you are interested in making this hat as a baby beanie, here's what to do:

  • Use US4 needles for the rib, US6 (I used 7, but 6 would look better for a baby) for the  pattern.

  • Cast on 96 stitches

  • Use a lighter weight worsted yarn



  • Fourth time is the charm, right.  On my last one I cast on the full 104 stitches, used US5 needles for the rib and US 7 on the pattern.  I also, broke down and purchased the correct 16" Addi Turbo circulars at a local yarn store which cost me a lot, but I just closed my eyes and paid.  Trying to maneuver the 24" circulars (there's probably a term for this too and I don't know what it is) from my brand new KnitPick Options set, was only making things harder and the 16" circulars made it SO much easier.  SO MUCH EASIER.



    This time, I really got the pattern in my head, except for maybe when you have to move the marker for the beginning of the row at certain points which is still a bit cloudy.  The final hat took me just three days to make, but I was knitting morning, noon, and night.  Happily, the hat fits perfectly, my little guy looks adorable, and I was very pleased with the result.

    Of course, monkey pants wants a hat just like it, and now my husband does too.  And really, I do want to make it for them, and probably everyone I know, but although I've mastered the chart, the stitiches, and the pattern, it's still very labor intensive.  So I'm moving on to other projects on my list for now.


    Comments

    1. Congratulations! Wow, you endured and produced a fabulous hat. The crown of the hat is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I am inspired but I don't think I have the confidence yet to tackle this one. You are brave!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I had a really hard time with this hat, and in the 09 Holiday Knits it is classified as "easy". I'm not a beginner knitter, but this was really difficult for me. I read the chart wrong, reading only odd numbered rows from right to left, and the even numbered rows left to right. I just didn't know and I didn't see it in the instructions either. I thought the ktbl was strange too, why not just k? Yours looks great, I'm going to try another (I modified my first attempt into a k2p2 cap). I'm using Lion Brand Fisherman's wool in brown and I like it's sponginess-I was very surprised, and was initially prepared not to like it, but I do. There will be plenty left for some more hats and some fingerless gloves.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you for your review, it's been very helpful to me. I've just started to do the decreasing on the hat, so I'm nearly there. Although I panicked I wasn't doing it right. Oh well, I'll see! I'm using Debbie Bliss Rialto DK (100%merino wool) which seems ok!(I'm from the UK)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thank you for your tips! I've had such a difficult time with this hat (as a somewhat novice) and had no idea that a pattern should be read right to left when knitting on circular needles. I was just about to give up after four attempts and will now start over thanks to you.
      Best regards, Michell

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi,
      Thanks so much for posting this toddler version of the Koolhaas hat. I'm currently following your pattern (in regards to sticking to pattern with smaller needles and yarn) but I wanted to know if you had any trouble deciding what to do with the "slipped stitch" at the end of round 8 when changing stitch marker position? Did you ktbl it? Or leave it slipped?

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts

    Tinkerbell Cake

    I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

    Emmeline Apron 2

    Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

    Face painting

    For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i