Skip to main content

Emmeline Apron 2


Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with the marking flush to the side of the apron and pinned; then basted in place.


I also didn't cut the halter straps on the diagonal. I don't find this necessary at all and it just takes up more fabric. Last, I was able to get away without hand-sewing the finishing touches. As long as the bodice top and the straps are well pressed, you should be able to pin them in place and just top stitch through everything and come out with a fairly decent top stitch on the other side too.

I added the oven mitts from the Amy Butler patchwork apron pattern and that's it.

Comments

  1. I ♥ it! The fabric is perfect for this pattern. Thank you for the tips. I still haven't ventured to make mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,nice cooking dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the apron and they are great oven mitts - where is the pattern from? I would love to make some like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and thanks so much for this post - I am making some Emmeline aprons and the tips on the straps was just a huge help to me! I love your blog, it is lovely!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post and the tips! I bought my pattern and fabric but just got around to sewing it up- and found I had lost the instructions! I had all the pattern pieces so between my own sewing knowledge and your post I was able to make a pretty nice apron WITHOUT the instructions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia,
    That's great. I'm glad my post came in handy. That makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am half done with my Emmeline and SO glad I came across your site. Your suggestions made a big difference. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you! I am making three of these and I'm doing the neck straps on the grain as I can't see why it wouldn't work, plus I'm only topstitching and not hand sewing. I love your solution to the waist ties. It makes so much sense and is easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am about to cut out my fabric for this apron and I am so glad I read this post first. Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was googling before starting on this apron and your tip for the straps really helped me. Thank you so much!
    Your apron is very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this, I would have been totally lost when doing the straps!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thank you for your comments on the waist ties. I just happen to be making this apron right now and was confused about this very step. I'm so glad I stumbled onto your page. Now I have the confidence to finish up and enjoy the results! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i will also be glad if i would be given that as a gift. Having a paired work aprons and pot holder is very nice especially to those dedicated moms who's having fun in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving this apron. If only I were on that Christmas list! Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tip for the straps was great,what a time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this apron! Now I need the pattern... but if I have such a pretty apron does that mean I actually have to cook?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too am confused by the straps...thanks for the idea re the waist straps. How long do you cut the halter straps?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i