Skip to main content

Village Frock


The Village Frock from Sugar City got completed in time for Thanksgiving. It was such a cute little project. I think this is the first real item of clothing I've made for monkey pants. I wanted to make it out of a lightweight denim, but I didn't have enough. I took a trip to the dreaded Joann's and decided on this creamy wool that was on sale. I thought it might be a nice wintery version. My only gripe with is that I would have liked the sleeves to have been longer so the billowy part was further down the arm. I thought the arms looked longer on the pattern but I don't know what happened there.

I decided to make the three year old size and use the four year old length to give it a more fitted silhouette (European cut as the pattern instructions would say). I like the little booklet pattern instructions and the hand written pattern pieces were very charming for a change. The instructions were pretty thorough and I liked that it included good measurements for the different sizes. Not even the commercial flower girl dress pattern I made had a full finished length measurement for the dress which I struggled with quite a bit.
 


The gathering was a bit of a challenge but not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I lined the inside so monkey pants wouldn't complain about the gathered seams scratching her and so the dress wouldn't stick to tights. I lined each piece instead of the dress as a whole to make it easier. Alas, I searched high and low for some brown italian styled leather boots to go with the dress and found nothing so here she is wearing with pants which actually seems to work somehow.

I think this is a very unique little design and I've already got my lightweight denim ready for a spring version of the dress.

Comments

  1. just darling. oh that i had a little girl to sew for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cute! I really wish they had that pattern in adult sizes. :) As for boots, have you tried Zappos.com? I think they sell childrens' shoes and they usually have a good assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Carola! I purchased the same pattern after seeing the pattern post previous to this one - instant classic frock I knew I wanted to make for the girls. Thanks for posting it! What type of fabric exactly did you use? I'm a novice at choosing proper fabric and would love your suggestions. - Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute photos!

    Where did you find that bunny? That is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found your blog searching for this pattern. Any chance you'd like to sell it or let a stranger borrow it?? meggan.wehmeyer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic , nice ,excellent style ....



    havenlife@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's adorable and so is the dress, but seriously would you loan out te pattern to those of us who didn't get to buy it.
    grilled.rabbit@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I'm still desperately searching for this pattern too. Any chance for me to get may hands on this pattern?? I'd be so lucky!
    t.teusch@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pattern and I've been searching for it everywhere. Do you know if there is anywhere to still purchase it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little late on replying, sorry, but no, I don't think this pattern is still available and unfortunately, I no longer have mine. However, I have seen a pattern for a similar dress out there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i