The Village Frock from Sugar City got completed in time for Thanksgiving. It was such a cute little project. I think this is the first real item of clothing I've made for monkey pants. I wanted to make it out of a lightweight denim, but I didn't have enough. I took a trip to the dreaded Joann's and decided on this creamy wool that was on sale. I thought it might be a nice wintery version. My only gripe with is that I would have liked the sleeves to have been longer so the billowy part was further down the arm. I thought the arms looked longer on the pattern but I don't know what happened there.
I decided to make the three year old size and use the four year old length to give it a more fitted silhouette (European cut as the pattern instructions would say). I like the little booklet pattern instructions and the hand written pattern pieces were very charming for a change. The instructions were pretty thorough and I liked that it included good measurements for the different sizes. Not even the commercial flower girl dress pattern I made had a full finished length measurement for the dress which I struggled with quite a bit.
The gathering was a bit of a challenge but not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I lined the inside so monkey pants wouldn't complain about the gathered seams scratching her and so the dress wouldn't stick to tights. I lined each piece instead of the dress as a whole to make it easier. Alas, I searched high and low for some brown italian styled leather boots to go with the dress and found nothing so here she is wearing with pants which actually seems to work somehow.
I think this is a very unique little design and I've already got my lightweight denim ready for a spring version of the dress.