Skip to main content

Wedding Cake

This is the first wedding cake I've ever made. It's a very simple cake but it was very stressful not knowing if I would be able to pull it off for such an important occasion. There's not exactly a plan B scenarios if something goes wrong. But it all worked out.


The cake was french vanilla with raspberry filling; butter cream on the outside covered with ivory "Fondx" fondant. This was the first time using this fondant which I had to order online. I've only used Wilton fondant before on birthday cakes. I was hoping this fondant would be more workable and taste better, plus I wanted to get one that was already colored ivory. I took a gamble but it paid off. It had a lot more elasticity than the Wilton fondant so it didn't wrinkle as much when covering the cakes and it tasted way better, more natural. I used a milk glass stand from a set of stands I got for my birthday last year. I love these cake stands because I have them in four different sizes and they are so versatile, kind of vintage-y. They elevate the cake quite a bit giving it more height like being up on a pedestal.

I had to cover the cakes the afternoon before the wedding because I had to go to the Bridal Shower in the morning and the rehearsal dinner in the evening. The wedding was in the morning the next day. I had a friend help me mostly to calm my nerves about messing up the cake. I covered the middle tier first and ended up with some small waves on one side because I couldn't get around the cake very well on top of the kitchen counter. I covered the largest tier next and had no problems. I used a stool and put the cake on the corner of the counter so I could work around it better. I did the smallest tier last and it came out great too. I was very happy with the results. The only thing was that the cakes settled a bit by the next day so they didn't look quite a smooth. I ordered the sugar paste magnolia flowers premade to save me time and stress. I was happy with those as well. I only had a little bit of trouble getting the one on the bottom tier to stay put as it had nothing to sit on. I glued it with a little piece of fondant and piping gel.

I transported the tiers separately and assembled the cake at the wedding location figuring that would be the safest plan. I used hollow plastic dowels on the bottom and middle tiers which were already in place and put just three flowers on. Everyone loved how the cake color and ribbon matched the brides dress. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the cake but I don't think I could make a wedding cake again as it is too stressful to think about messing up a cake for a wedding. Now with this months birthday and wedding out of the way, I get to relax a bit until my daughter's birthday next month which I'm sure will bring on more fun projects.

Comments

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…