Skip to main content

Pajamas

I did it! I managed to post make absolutely nothing in January. What a way to start the year. I guess I'm kind of backwards in that respect.

Anyway, I just realized I never posted any pictures of my matching family pajamas I made for Christmas with Heather Ross Mendocino fabric that I mentioned in my Upcoming little projects post. I think it's because the only pictures I got of them were on Christmas morning when it was still dark and it was -- well, it was morning. I'm not a morning person. But here's what I managed to scrounge up.

Here's a picture of the back of monkey pants's head and the mama pajamas pants. I used a different color at the bottom of mine because I didn't want to order more than a yard for budget reasons and I figured I could use the left over from monkey pants's yard. You might be able to tell her pajama pants are the same fabric.

   
Monkey pants's reaction - not sure whether this is really cool or some kind of sick joke; looks to Dad for his take on this.


   
I decided to just make the pants for everybody in the same octopus print in different colors. For the little guy I used a smaller sea horse print. Then I got a camisole and t-shirt from Old Navy in bright coordinating colors for me and "Dada". I got a plain white onesie and a fitted shirt for the little ones and put the octopus print and swimming girl prints on them with t-shirt transfer.

   

   

I did want to make a little something extra for monkey pants. I got some aqua fleece for a robe but couldn't find a traditional robe pattern so I did some online searching and found this one, Simplicity 7068 on eBay. Yeah, I wish patterns were still $1.25. I made the robe a little shorter, just a bit past the knee. I love the rounded lapels and pockets.



Nothing is easier than sewing pajama pants; a great starter project for a beginner sewer and probably a lot more gratifying than sewing a pillow case.

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…