Skip to main content

Toddler Backpack

A while back I made the Sophia Carry-all bag for my little monkey pants when she had to go to the hospital for surgery. I've been meaning to make another one for my little boy and as I get closer to my due date, the idea surfaced again because he will need a little day bag for his things while I'm in the hospital and he goes to a friends house. Our hospital isn't allowing any children visitors at all due to the H1N1 flu season. Realistically, I didn't really think I would have the determination or stamina required for the Sophia Carry-all and he's really quite small to carry it on his own so I decided on this totally adorable toddler back pack, pattern by Made by Rae.

It sews up pretty quickly because it doesn't require any complicated interfacing, nor custom made piping, and it isn't lined, although I had every intention of lining it anyway. When it was done, I was happy enough with the way it was, I didn't line it.  It has padded, adjustable straps and a quilted bottom. I loved the fabric featured in the pattern and I searched high and low on the internet to try to find it to no avail.  I wanted a Japanese import fairy tale kind of print and I ended buying a couple on Etsy. After I got them, I decided to use a Japanese import from Superbuzzy I already had with little trees instead --yup, the pregnancy brain again.

I had been saving my little 1/2 yard piece of imported out of print Japanese fabric for a while and I didn't want to use it all up, so I decided to make the back of the backpack with aqua corduroy.  Ironically, vexed by my preganancy brain, I made several mistakes cutting the fabric and ended up butchering it into little pieces anyway by cutting it in the wrong direction. A small complaint about the pattern is that it didn't have grain lines marked on it which would have helped me avoid this mistake. It also doesn't have seam allowance information printed on it.

Then my pregnancy brain decided I wanted to add a front pocket to the backpack and that it would make me feel better to use up one of the butchered pieces of fabric I had screwed up to do it. So, without planning or measuring, I came up with the most complicated pocket on the planet including a hidden zipper. Miraculously, and I'm still somewhat surprised at this, it turned out without ruining the backpack front and without involving the seam ripper at any point.

Of course, monkey pants now wants one too.  I promised to make her one when she starts kindergarden.  Secretly, I want to make one for every toddler/preschool child I know.  They are so darn cute!


  1. Wow absolutely amazing! that'll save you on costs to your kids backpacks :D Plus they can personalize them by picking their own material. :D

  2. Just STUNNINGLY beautiful Carola!! Adorable, perfect, and SWEET!!

  3. WOAH!... This is a super lovely bag...i love the straps and could you kindly sure how the front zipper pocket is done please :)

  4. SOOOOOOO cute! I wish I had the skills to make this for my nephew.....


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!

A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.

Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.

The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…