Skip to main content

Pikkumies


Pattern: Ottobre 6/2010 Pikkumies #16
Fabric: Jersey knit in three colors plus white flannel for inner lining
Fabric Price:  probably around a dollar
Notions: elastic
Size: 92cm
Child's Age: 2
----------------------------------------

My two-year-old is potty training so I tried my hand at some toddler undies. I couldn't wait for the coverstitch machine to arrive. Plus, I really never sew knits, so I need to establish a baseline for the misery it is to sew without one, so I can better appreciate it when I receive it.     These are not the ones from the latest Ottobre issue 1/2013 but rather from Ottobre 6/2010. I thought these would be more his speed. I plan to make the new ones for my five-year-old. I've also seen some from an older issue of Ottobre which I think are even cuter, but I don't have that issue.


I used what I had on hand, some jersey knit from JoAnn I bought a long time ago with the intention of making pajama pants, I think. I didn't have ribbing for the waistband so I just used some more jersey knit I had on hand. I did double layer the front and back panels and the crotch gusset with white flannel on the inside in case of accidents. I didn't want them too thin, and it's winter anyway.

They were pretty easy to make.  I only got confused for a minute when sewing the back seam of the crotch gusset so that the seam is hidden.  You have to maneuver the edge of the crotch gusset around pretty tightly to get it to do this but it worked just fine.  I sewed it mostly with my serger.  I used my regular machine to sew that one part of the crotch gusset, for the decorative top-stitching on the front and back panels, and for the double-needle top-stitch around the waist and leg hems.

They came out a bit loser than I would have liked but it's not too big of a deal, they are, after all underwear.  They'll probably shrink in the wash.  However, the waistband was looked incredibly small so I cut it to the largest size and it was still a bit snug. That's probably because I didn't use ribbing. It also has elastic inside the waistband. 


Overall, pretty cute undies even though I wasn't really loving that character fabric from JoAnn.  I can't believe how expensive little boy briefs can be (Gymboree), so I'm pretty stoked to be able to make them for both the boys now.

Comments

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i