Monday, March 25, 2013

Bugle Boy



Pattern:  Jalie #2802 Men's Skating Bodyshirt; Jalie #2803 Men's Figure Skating Pants
Fabric:  7/8 yd tan polyester; 1 yd tan faux linen (JoAnn Fabrics)
Notions: black grosgrain ribbon; gold colored buttons, elastic
Total Price: $15.50
Size: Jalie kids size G

(I did not make the hat)
Tie was made from a McCall's pattern
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to make this dance costume for my little boy two days before his team competition.  They have been learning this dance for months, but somehow, I only then realized that he was the bugle boy???  I don't know how my brain works sometimes.

I have only recently found Jalie patterns. They seem to be the only pattern company that focuses on sportswear.  I have made a girl's leotard and boy's, so this was my third project.  I bought all these patterns at the same time directly from their website with the buy 3 get the 4th for free deal, as I find them kind of pricey, especially with the shipping. The nice thing about the Jalie patterns is that they include all sizes, and by all sizes, I mean ALL sizes from toddler to adult.  That means my boy better keep dancing or go on to figure skating so I can get my money's worth out of these patterns!

One thing, I'm not fond of is that the pattern and instructions are all printed on one side of a giant sheet of paper.  Although, I recently found out that the instructions are available for download from their site so they can printed separately.

The pants turned out pretty well.  I omitted the fly to save time, hoping they would just slide up despite their close fit, since he has no shape what so ever.  I'm pretty sure his chest, waist, and hips are exactly the same.  Both the shirt and pants are meant to be made from stretch fabrics.  I figured the polyester would have enough give for the pants but I wasn't able to find stretch fabric in the right color for the shirt. I went up a size to compensate but it is very fitted and he was barely able to put it on.  The shirt has an under part with snaps to keep it from popping out of the pants which is really nice for dancing (not just ice skating). He has danced in regular shirts before and the shirt tails are all over the place by the end of the dance.

Well, that's it.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time for any photos of the actual pieces.  I'll be updating with another costume I made for his dance soon.  Luckily, I'm done with costumes for the year, (I think) as they are just starting out getting into competitions.



Monday, March 18, 2013

Biker Jacket



Fabric: sweatshirt fleece (JoAnn Fabrics)
Notions: 14" separating metallic zipper, (2) 6" metallic zippers, large snap
Total Cost: ~$16.00
Size: 98cm, 104cm length
Child's Age: 5
---------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to make this jacket as soon as I got this issue in the fall. It's made out of sweatshirt fleece.  Casual and stylish at the same time. Perfect for stylin' five year old. Somehow, there were many wrenches thrown in to the construction of this jacket.  First, I couldn't find sweatshirt material and ribbing in the same color.  I blame JoAnn Fabrics for this.  Then, I couldn't find the right length of metallic, fashion zipper for his size.  I thought, that's OK, I'll just keep checking back until they have it.  But it's JoAnn Fabrics.  So, this doesn't EVER happen. I also wanted the same arm patch that is on the magazine photo which was impossible to find unless I wanted to pay more than the fabric cost me to have it shipped to me.

Well, it turns out, my little boy was invited to a 50's dance party by one of his dance class teammates so then I just had to pull the trigger on this and make the jacket.  So, OK! Fine! I settled for not using ribbing and just using the same fabric for the wrists and waist bands.  I went to JoAnn's and very executively found the closest length zipper to what was called for and started up on it two days before the party, because that's how I like to do things.

I had to settle for this plain star as I couldn't fine the army sergeant patch featured in the magazine.

I got him this vintage box of gum to roll up in his shirt sleeve.
Couldn't resist a last minute marker tattoo.

It was coming along quite well.  I thought I had just enough material that I had bought several months ago.  Sewing sweatshirt fleece is very easy and nice.  Then, things started to go downhill.  I attached the pockets upside down.  I broke a needle going over the pocket zipper on the topstitcing so I wasn't going to do them over. Then, I realized I didn't check the length of the waistband before cutting it and it was way too short to attach to the bottom of the jacket (because it was meant to be cut from ribbing and stretched).  Dumb mistake, but I sucked it up and made a trip to JoAnn for another six inches of fabric.  Got home, attached that, and realized I hadn't cut the front facings and didn't have enough fabric for that either.  SUPER DUMB!  I sent my husband this time for another piece of sweatshirt fleece.


Great. That should have been the last snafu. Nothing that couldn't be remedied at least. But, no.  Then I took this picture to document how the zipper was going to be attached, and I actually attached it.  It wasn't until I went to attach the other side, that I noticed the bottom of the zipper was in my way and I didn't know why.  It seemed to me that it shouldn't be in my way.  That's because I didn't get a SEPARATING zipper!  ULTRA DUMB!!! 

At the party. So cute!
So, he had to wear the jacket as a pull-over.  I was so bummed and apparently distracted by this monumental miss that I also forgot to put the snap on the front.  I think I'll be making this again in the future.