Skip to main content

Bugle Boy



Pattern:  Jalie #2802 Men's Skating Bodyshirt; Jalie #2803 Men's Figure Skating Pants
Fabric:  7/8 yd tan polyester; 1 yd tan faux linen (JoAnn Fabrics)
Notions: black grosgrain ribbon; gold colored buttons, elastic
Total Price: $15.50
Size: Jalie kids size G

(I did not make the hat)
Tie was made from a McCall's pattern
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to make this dance costume for my little boy two days before his team competition.  They have been learning this dance for months, but somehow, I only then realized that he was the bugle boy???  I don't know how my brain works sometimes.

I have only recently found Jalie patterns. They seem to be the only pattern company that focuses on sportswear.  I have made a girl's leotard and boy's, so this was my third project.  I bought all these patterns at the same time directly from their website with the buy 3 get the 4th for free deal, as I find them kind of pricey, especially with the shipping. The nice thing about the Jalie patterns is that they include all sizes, and by all sizes, I mean ALL sizes from toddler to adult.  That means my boy better keep dancing or go on to figure skating so I can get my money's worth out of these patterns!

One thing, I'm not fond of is that the pattern and instructions are all printed on one side of a giant sheet of paper.  Although, I recently found out that the instructions are available for download from their site so they can printed separately.

The pants turned out pretty well.  I omitted the fly to save time, hoping they would just slide up despite their close fit, since he has no shape what so ever.  I'm pretty sure his chest, waist, and hips are exactly the same.  Both the shirt and pants are meant to be made from stretch fabrics.  I figured the polyester would have enough give for the pants but I wasn't able to find stretch fabric in the right color for the shirt. I went up a size to compensate but it is very fitted and he was barely able to put it on.  The shirt has an under part with snaps to keep it from popping out of the pants which is really nice for dancing (not just ice skating). He has danced in regular shirts before and the shirt tails are all over the place by the end of the dance.

Well, that's it.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time for any photos of the actual pieces.  I'll be updating with another costume I made for his dance soon.  Luckily, I'm done with costumes for the year, (I think) as they are just starting out getting into competitions.



Comments

  1. Awesome! And what a great picture too! You really pulled it off, even with so little time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…