Skip to main content

Large Gingham Plaid Shorts

Pattern: Simplicity 1887
Fabric: "Apparel" fabric from Hobby Lobby (cotton)
Notions: elastic
Total Cost:  $6 including pattern ($1 dollar sale)
Size: 8 (made slightly narrower)
Age: 13
[Top: H&M; Cardigan: Banana Republic XS Petite; Shoes: Keds]

This is one of the first fabrics we got when we decided we needed to make a bunch of summer clothes --shorts were the first priority. I think at one point, we decided it was going to be a top instead, but eventually came back to the shorts. And this was just the right pattern for this super fun, fresh summer fabric. Monkey Pants, became even more obsessed after we found Emily Hallman on instagram and couldn't stop swooning over all the large gingham. Suddenly she fell in love with dresses, skirts, ruffles, and even big bows! I know!! I was like --what the heck is going on here? Who are you?


Had I had more fabric, I would definitely cut the waistband and tie on the diagonal to take advantage of this fun print. However, I had just barely enough fabric and that was with making the inside of the pocket from a white fabric and making the front and back pieces a couple of centimeters narrower to get it down to her size. I think we had just 1 yard and the pattern calls for 1 1/2 yds at 45" wide in the smallest size. It was a miracle I managed to sort of match the pattern on the front and back seams.
I would say, these are pretty easy to make. But still, nothing beats the Burda Shorts for simple, fast, and sophisticated. The double elastic on the waistband was a bit fidgety. Trying to feed it through with minuscule safety pins, admittedly, probably isn't the easiest method, though. For some reason, I kept wanting the ties to come all the way from the side seams but they start about where the pocket edge is. Not really sure, why the pattern tells you to sew the ties onto the waist band at the end instead of just including them in the seam between the front band and the elastic one that wraps around the sides. I did what it said. But, I didn't want to. I have the tendency to question pattern instructions a lot, but many times, it is not for the best.

Even though, this cheap, cotton fabric from Hobby Lobby isn't exactly on the luxurious side, I'm pretty happy with these shorts, and she loves them too. So much better than the tired, tiny shorts options at the regular clothing stores available in our area. Options are limited at her age/size right now, and we can never manage to find anything in the girls departments and things don't quite fit in the womens'. So for this teen girl, a home-sewn, summer wardrobe is working out swimmingly!

I'm hoping to make a top to go with these shorts too, but for now, this graphic t-shirt, revived with purpose, and the bubble top are working great.


Comments

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…