Skip to main content

Romper Fun

Pattern: Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 8124
Fabric: Brushed Cotton Hobby Lobby
Notions: 3/4" elastic
Total Cost:  $14
Size: XS with mods
Age: 13
Monkey Pants was insisting on a romper as part of her summer wardrobe. I wasn't getting to it fast enough so I suggested to her that this would be an easy and forgiving pattern for her to try to sew on her own as her first apparel project.  I helped her with the pattern by shortening the bodice a couple of inches and drew up some quick pockets pieces by tracing her hand. Ha ha! Because how can this pattern not have pockets?!
I once again, had to talk her into this fabric. We had passed it over many times at Hobby Lobby as crazy and psychedelic. But then I saw the light, I thought it would be perfect for this pattern. I love the way it came out. And then I wanted one too. Despite some rookie sewing mistakes like cutting two sleeves the same way, I thought she did a pretty good job.  So cute and comfy.
The last shot is always a parting shot when she decides the photo shoot is over! LOL.


  1. She did a beautiful job! Going to sew just as wonderfully as her talented mamma.

  2. Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful article.
    Thanks for providing these details.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!

A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.

Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.

The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…