Skip to main content

Montera Hat



Pattern: Montera Hat
Designer: Pam Allen
Materials: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Flammé
Amount: (1.5) 50g ball
Needles: US7 and US10 16" circular Addi Turbo
Cost: $10.00/ball approx. $20.00
Size: one size
Start Date: Dec. 3, 2009
Finish Date: Dec. 9, 2009
Ravelry Project Link

This was a fun hat to knit. A little like the Koolhaas pattern; but easier since you don't have to hold stitches. That's not to say I didn't screw up the pattern several times anyway. Some of the rows are more confusing than others, but there are detailed instructions as well as a chart.

The yarn was pretty luxurious for what I usually use. No mail order this time. It's a 10 ply aran weight, 50% Peruvian Wool, 30% Super Fine Alpaca, and 20% Silk. It has a thick and thin consistency (I don't know what this is called), which makes it very forgiving and I like the way the leaves ended up looking kind of rounded instead of triangle shape like the pattern picture. On the other hand, the yarn is a bit heavy so it doesn't sit fluffy on the head. Even though I only used about a ball and a half, the project ended up costing about $20 as it was $10 per ball. But I wanted something really nice.

I made this for my sister who is undergoing chemo right now. She hasn't lost all her hair by any means. I think it's serving more as a lose hair catcher and just to lift up her spirits. I was so excited to give it to her that I forgot to take pictures, so I recently had my niece bring it over to model it for me. Unfortunately, it was so cold, that she had a hard time posing without looking like she was freezing to death. You can even see individual little snowflakes in her hair.



TIP: One thing about the pattern that I did wrong or that just wasn't specified was that on the vein of the leaf pattern, when knitting up the looped over increased stitch from the previous row, you should twist the stitch on the left side of the vein center in the opposite direction as the one on the right side. I didn't do this in the first few rows and I ended up with this bumpy stitch running next to the center vein of the leaf. I decided the texture of the yarn would make it so it wasn't too obvious and I kept going and just changed the way I knit it on the subsequent rows which look much better.

Comments

  1. This hat is gorgeous - from the color to the texture to the imagined feel (from the description of the yarn). What a wonderful treat for your sister. I am so sorry she is dealing with health challenges. This hat will give her a bit of warmth for healing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…