Skip to main content

Ottobre Shirt & Pants


Pattern: Ottobre 3/2012 Happy Madras Shirt #19 & Papa Joe Pants #20

Shirt Fabric: Joel Dewberry "Modern Meadow" JD37 Honeycomb Pink quilting cotton; buttons taken from one of my husbands old shirts
Pants: Fabric: JoAnn Fabrics, poly-cotton linen-look blend

Fabric Price: ~$8.00; $6.40 zipper $0.50 

Belt: Re-purposed gift wrap ribbon from the Gap
Shoes:  Driving shoes, Gap

Size: 96 cm

Child's Age: 4 (slim and small)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I made this outfit (that sounds girly.  Ensemble?) for my four-year-old's preschool graduation.  He participated in a state-funded, pilot online preschool program last year.  He got to go in to test and receive his diploma and treat bag.
 
I started making it, of course, three days before the event.  I finished the night before.  No surprise.  Well, a little surprise that I did actually finish.
 
In the past, I have felt that sewing boy's clothes is not as much worth one's while compared to girl's clothes.  Pants are pants.  Shirts are shirts.  No too exciting yet they have quite a bit of detail for what they are.  And, boy's clothing is a lot less expensive to buy.  I can buy flat front, brushed twill khakis at Old Navy for $10.00 when they are on sale. 
 
However, now that I have my Ottobre magazines, I wanted to give this a try.  I figured, as long as I wasn't spending any more than I would to buy them, and I could get a slightly better fit, it would be well-worth it.  Because this little guy is so slim, in order to get pants that are the right length, they are too big around the waist.  The hidden elastic adjusters are a big help, but I have to adjust them so much, they end up looking coarsely gathered at the waist.  They make him look emaciated.
 
Here are some of his best QG poses.  He tends to give an over-exuberant smile that sucks in his lips and shows all his gums.  So we were going for a more mature look.
His measurements are not as wild as Monkey Pants' but he is ridiculously slim compared to height and still not average height for his age.  Going by waist, he would be a size 92cm, by height, almost 110cm.  So of course, I picked the one in the middle for both shirt and pants.  I was scared to make the 92 pants and lengthen after the fail on the capri pants for Monkey Pants.  They came out great!  Now, they are still a bit big around the waist, thus the need for the last minute ribbon belt.  And, I did lengthen them to 110 but ended up rolling up the hem and blind hemming the excess anyway.  Since, they are a bit lose, they don't sit that high on the waist, and don't really need to be that long.  At first, I thought I wanted them to be a bit extra long and wrinkly at the bottom, then, I decided they looked better well-fitted for length.
 
The linen look-a-like fabric, I found at JoAnn.  I wasn't sure if it was even for apparel because it feels kind of stiff, yet a bit see-through on the bolt.  But I thought I'd give it a try.  I really do like it.  It doesn't wrinkle like linen and has a crisper drape.  I think it works well for warm weather pants.
 
 
 
The shirt, I will admit, had many non-believers.  Boys can wear pink, dammit!  Once again, I had to resort to quilting cotton for apparel fabric due to depressing choices at the local fabric store. Ok, before I put the collar in, even I was a tinsy bit worried, it looked like a medical scrub in the children's unit.  But, I new it had to look like a cool shirt once the collar and front buttons where on.  I didn't fold the sleeves up and omitted the the trim on on the bottom edges.
 
 
Very happy with result.  He loves his outfit.
 

Comments

  1. He looks very dapper! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that is one sharply dressed young man! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic job! and anyone can wear pink :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i