Skip to main content

Stash building

One thing I don't enjoy about project making is going to the store to get that one missing item.  And then going again to get that other item.  And then again, because I got the wrong item.  I just want to pick up and get sewing whenever the mood and opportunity for free time strikes.

I have to drive to the "city" twice a week for swim class for the kids, so I've been taking advantage of that to stop by the fabric store and pick up fabrics and supplies.  I really don't want to spend ten dollars in gas just to go buy a zipper or a matching spool of thread.  I also found a new (for me) online fabric store, BanberryPlace.com, with a lot of great sale fabrics.  Here are the some of the goods.

I was a little overzealous about opening the package.
Actually, the box had a hole in it and I started opening it from there because I could see the fabric wasn't enclosed in a bag and I was afraid there might be damage.  I got lucky this time, but I wish they had wrapped it up better.

An assortment of half to one yard piece of mostly sale fabric from BanberryPlace.com

I broke down and got this expensive knit fabric I saw on Ottobre's Etsy shop but with free shipping from Banberry. 
Problem is that it's hard to find matching ribbing.

This was also on sale.  I got several yards with the intention to make valances for the kitchen window and the Ottobre Velma Skirt for Monkey Pants.
I went to JoAnn Fabrics for lining for the Burda Twist Knot Dress I'm making and some invisible zippers.  For once, I came out of there not foaming at the mouth. I must have been in a pretty good mood.  A really good mood.  I later noticed they failed to apply my 10% discount! &@#$ them!

Also, I was able to buy all this with three small children without freaking out once.  This never happens. McCall's patterns were on sale for a dollar.  It was my duty to look through the whole book again. I found one with a girl's blouse featuring a ruffle at the center front (M6389) similar to one I saw in the Ottobre 1/2010 magazine, that I didn't order as it was the only item I was really interested in. I may make it for a school uniform.  Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. Thread was 50% off.  I thought I would expand on my solid white serger thread choices.

I got this pattern and this fabric spur of the moment.  Not a print or fabric (it's very sheer) I would normally pick out but I thought I might try View B with it.  Pickings are slim for apparel fabric at JoAnn.

Now if I can just find some room to store all this.  I hope my good intentions don't fail me.  I have a lot of stuff to sew now.

Comments

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i