Skip to main content

Paperback Writer Pants


Fabric: Green Corduroy (less than a yard, JoAnn Fabrics 50% off)
Fabric Price: ~$4.00
Notions: 1 snap, 2 rivets, 1 recycled zipper
Size: 92cm with length of 98cm
Child's Age: 5
[Shirt: Tea Collection, Shoes: Simple]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With the success of the Funky Boy Jeans, I was eager to make some more pants for my growing little boy's fall/winter wardrobe.  He's forgotten all about the existence of pants after wearing shorts all summer.  This one didn't go as smoothly as the jeans.  Not because they were harder. I guess, I was feeling over-confident and was only running my brain on partial power.  I sewed the zipper before the center back/front seams, then the fronts didn't line up with the zipper closed. But no matter, I fixed it all and they are darling!  I think this is the last year I can say that about his clothes.  I really love the green.  What a breath of fresh air. And finally he has something that goes with these darn shoes!  They went with nothing he had in his closet before.


I also decided to get some of this belt material while notions were on sale at JoAnn's to make him a belt. The home-made pants are a transition from the store-bought pants with the hidden, adjustable, elastic waist, and the faux leather belt I bought him is really bulky on his slender frame.  It was pretty easy to make, just two D-rings and finishing off the ends of the belt.



For some reason, the pockets I cut were bigger than the width shown by the pocket placement markings on the back side of the pants. I checked and couldn't find that I made a mistake.  Not sure if this was a pattern error. So, I did raise the position of the back pockets on these about a centimeter or two.  And I'm glad I did.

I added a rivet to either side of the front pockets.  Just a little detail to polish them off.


I originally bought this back issue because I loved and wanted to make the wool, boys' peacoat.  But I've been pleasantly surprised to find how many other things I want to make from the magazines now.  At the same time, I'm a little disappointed to see how many patterns seem to be repeated.  In the last issue, there is a pair of green cords almost identical to the ones I had just completed!  Albeit, I understand, sometimes there is a difference in fit.  The ones here from the 6/2010 issue are quite fitted.  I think the ones (#17) in the 6/2012 issue may be more roomy with a straight leg. 



[from ottobredesign.com 6/2012 #17]

Comments

  1. This is the second time I have seen these made up an they are so cute. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…