Skip to main content

Chef outfit



Pattern: Ottobre 1/12013 #17 Chef Emil jacket, #18 King of the Kitchen hat, #19 Relazed pants
Fabric: Thick white rodeo cotton 1.375 yds $6.59 (JoAnn Fabrics), 70% polyester/30% cotton black gingham check 3/4 yd (~ $4.00 Hancock Fabrics)
Notions: 7 blue buttons for jacket, 3 tan buttons for pants, elastic for back of pant's waitband
Total Cost: ~$11.00
Size: 104cm jacket, 52cm hat, 92cm pants
Child's Age: 3
---------------------------------------------------------


I decided to make this chef's outfit for Super Disgusting's 3rd birthday because he's at that age where he loves playing with the toy kitchen and bringing me orders of food.  Also because I'm up to my eyeballs in plastic toys that are literally going to put me in the looney house and I had no desire to buy him any more.  So he gets the hand-me-down plastic play kitchen and a new chef outfit.  Is that lame?  It's all about managing expectations. Right?


I made the smallest size available in all three pieces. I found a really good white cotton for the jacket and hat at JoAnn Fabrics right away, but no luck there with the black gingham check.  I finally found some at Hancock Fabrics. I like it because it's a poly/cotton blend and it won't wrinkle. It's light-weight and he can wear the pants like regular clothes.  I didn't have black buttons so I just used some blue ones from my cheap Walmart stash.  There's a lot of top-stitiching on the the pants and as a default, I started with black thread.  I decided that was boring and switched to aqua.  Then I thought that might be too much so I changed it again to aqua and navy. ??? I never made up my mind.


The only thing that came out poorly was the embroidery on the hat.  Ironically, I was hell-bent on getting this right.  I tried to do it first as a machine embroidery. It didn't look good.  Then, I tried to hand embroider it like a machine.  Yeah, that was kind of dumb.  Then I decided to get serious about it and hand embroider it with some kind of loop stitch I invented using embroidery floss.  It came out fabulous!  Until I went to sew the band on to the top of the hat and realized I had marked it upside down.  Ottobre people, it would help people like me if that had already just been on the pattern.  At that point, I rebelled against my drive for perfection and decided to go on.  Super Disgusting is kind of an up-side-down fork guy anyway.


The outfit came out great.  I was very pleased with it.  I intended to make the t-shirt too but didn't get around to it. Maybe later. I was sewing the pants the morning of his birthday! To save time, I omitted the back pockets and only did the flaps, and alos the fly because he's three and these pants have elastic on the back of the waist which is actually perfect for him. I have to say, I've really been enjoying my subscription to Ottobre.  I love having a collection of patterns to chose from for any of the kids whenever the mood strikes.  Now if only it could be this way with my Burda subscription.


Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…