Skip to main content

More undies

Aren't those knock knees impressive
Pattern: Ottobre 6/2010 Pikkumies #16
Fabric: Old onesies
Fabric Price: almost nothing
Notions: FOE (fold over elastic. I'm still trying to remember what it means)
Size: 92cm
Child's Age: 5

After perusing the isle of JoAnn Fabrics for some cute knit fabrics to make more boy undies, I found nothing.  Surprise, surprise.  I was also in the process of cleaning out Super Disgusting's dresser now that he no longer needs diapers, wipes or onesies.  Yes, I make them wear onesies until the furthest point possible.  I don't like diaper fabric showing up from the pant's waistline, messy shirts, and irritated tummy skin.  Also, I don't like to give them ANY opportunity to find out what goes on in their diaper.  It's a very effective strategy.

Anyway .... onesies.  What to do with all these cute onesies.  It dawned on me, I could make underwear out of them!  This was a very revolutionary idea for me.  Things like this don't occur to me often, even if others have been doing it all along.  So here is my stack of onesies.  Of course, I've only managed to make ONE since this revelation.  The first Pikkumis I made were slightly lose, so I made these a tiny smaller by not adding the 1cm seam allowance.  I guess that was too much.  They're a bit snug on him, but luckily and sadly, they fit my 5-y.o. pretty well. Yup, he may be taller, but he's actually smaller in girth than the 3-y.o.

This time, since I had just received my awesome new sewing machine, the Juki F600.  Did I mention I bought an awesome, new sewing machine.  My birthday is the day after Christmas. I've learned to stop moping over crappy, overlooked birthdays and just get myself awesome gifts.  Well, I made the undies pretty much entirely with this sewing machine instead of the serger, including the decorative faux overlock top-stitching.  I used white FOE elastic but I just didn't fold it over.  Is that a thing?  Can you do that?  I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time.


  1. It is just impressive that you make underpants but using a onesie is pretty brillant

  2. How wonderful! I have used old baby clothes for boy undies too...and also for my daughter's undies, I have used hand-me-down t-shirts from friends, that I didn't find pleasant, (aka appropriate!) but they work fine as fabric for undies.

  3. how fun! and how brave your are for doing projects like this. I am light years from daring such projects...

    1. Thank you Christine, Millie, and Anne for all the nice words.

      I just want to say, that these undies are really easy to make. I would probably never spend the time trying to draw up a pattern myself. This briefs pattern from Ottobre is actually pretty fun to sew. You can use a serger or a conventional sewing machine. I've done it both ways.

      I did forget to mention, I omitted the waistband with enclosed elastic and just stitched this elastic right onto the edge of the fabric. I also added the red binding on the legs to these from a stretch knit that I already had. I used a bias tool to iron the folds. Try it people! It's not too hard. I swear.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!

A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.

Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.

The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…