Skip to main content

Messenger Bags


Finally got around to making this little boy his own messenger bag. I made these for my kids a few years ago and sadly, as is regularly the case, the youngest didn't get one. He has humbly been asking if it would be possible for him to get his own, and at last his wish has been granted. 




Then, I figured if I was going to make one, I should just make several. I don't know if two more constitutes several, but it does in my book.  Love the Riley Blake Utah themed fabric I utilized for the lining in the gray one. So cute.





And last, a more girly inspired one with birds. 

Outer fabrics are polyester outdoor fabric from JoAnn at $7/yd. These take about 1/2 yd to make. And I used pre-made double fold bias tape for the trim on all of these. It calls for two packages but I found that by using a different color on the the outer side panel pockets, you only need one package for the rest of the bag. Hardware was ordered online.




I also made a new one for my daughter in the larger size but didn't get around to photographing it. I felt like the colors didn't quite come together for me and I actually offered to make her a new one but she won't take it off so that's going to be tough. Her original messenger bag has been so well-used and loved, the bias trim started shredding and it was too small to sling across her body. But, she kept using it.  Really love these bags.

#messengerbag

Comments

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i