Skip to main content

Burda

From Burda
After completing the Renaissance costume in one day, my head got really big and I actually started thinking I might be capable of sewing things again. So I got all excited and remembered that, once upon a time, I had ordered a subscription to Burda Style magazine. It was supposed to take 3-6 months to arrive but it never did which was just as well I guess because I haven't had much time to even go to the bathroom in the past two years since #3 was born. But, my new found excitement got me reved up, and I ordered it again. This time, the first issue is supposed to arrive in July! I didn't want the momentum to die off, so I bought a PDF Burda pattern to try to get back into the swing of things.


Burda #108 is a sleeveless dress with a twist not in the front. It was in one of their previous magazines this year and although the model dress is not very appealing, I saw some other pictures of it made up where it looked quite nice. I've been wanting to get into some summer dresses to bring a little variation to my regular capri, cargo pants and a t-shirt, mom uniform I wear most of the time. Sadly, my visit to JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics brought me right down to reality. The fabric selection for apparel is HORRIBLE unless you are really into super loud, spandex-y green, black, and white prints, or, spandex-y animal prints. I'm more of a neutrals person.

Now, this is what happens when you buy a pattern from the Internet. You don't have to drive anywhere to get it or wait for it to come in the mail, but your need to have a lot of paper and tape!


Taping fifty pieces of paper together.

Decided cutting the top and right sides off was better than folding.

All pieces taped together.

Lining up the pieces is quite easy.

Luckily, I have lots of almost-free-paper from back-to-school sales.  However, I didn't realize this pattern is for Tall and I am short.  We'll see how that goes.  I don't consider modifying and adjusting patterns to be my strong suit.  I'm not even sure how I'll do following the Burda instructions which assume you are well versed in different sewing techniques.

Also, I'm getting this little gadget to add the seam allowance to the pattern while you cut.  This should help out a lot since I'm not used to having to add the seam allowance.

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…