Skip to main content

Re-covered Stools


So, I finally took the plunge and ordered the French Country style stools I've been wanting for several years, so that our home can actually start looking French Country-ish in real life and not just in my imagination. 

These are not them.

Before
This photo doesn't do justice to the stains on this seat.

I would like to sell the old stools on the local, online classifieds, but the fabric was in shambles. And by shambles, I mean disgusting.  That's what happens when you have three little pigs eating at home several times a day, every day of the week.

I guess quilting cotton isn't cut out for this kind of abuse.

Looks like someone took the marker to this one.  Nice.

Sadly, I had already re-covered them once with a beautiful Amy Butler print which I had the forethought to protect by adhering iron-on laminate onto.  This worked for a while.  But eventually, the laminate started peeling and cracking off until it was better to just rip the rest off than leave it there.

Taking the seat off couldn't be easier. Just four screws.

Pry the old staples off with a small, flat head screwdriver and little pliers.

Cut fabric around seat approx. 2 in. bigger and re-staple onto under side of chair.  I skipped any helpful photos of this process like many videos I look up on YouTube when I need help, that take up ten minutes to watch but cleverly skip the most difficult part and show you the beautiful end result.  No. I just forgot to take a picute.  My hands were full.

I bought this black Parisian writing fabric at JoAnn a while back.  I thought it might be an OK compromise.  I didn't want to bother with the laminate again and I figured, this fabric would at least hide the stains much better.  None of that matters now, except for the fact that I needed to re-cover them in order to sell them.
After


The new stools arrived yesterday. They are lovely, feature a rush seat and cost me an arm and a leg. Needless to say, the three little piggies won't be sitting on them until I have the time to make some protective cushions for them. I'm going to try the laminate again, but not iron-on this time.

--
Sold!

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…