Skip to main content

Hollywood Cerise

Fabric Price: ~$5.70
Buttons: cheap color pack from Walmart (I hope they don't melt in the sun)
Size: 110cm
Child's Age: 7
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I got my Ottobre back issues.  I was so excited, and then I opened them, and then I realized I'm losing my mind.  Only one of the three issues was the right one.  Uh.  I don't know what happened.  I must have another personality that likes to mess with me and really screw things up for me.

Still, I wanted to get started right away.  The project I was most excited about was the Trumpet Dress from issue 3/2012 for which I did manage to find and order the orignial fabric directly from Ottobre.  But the fabric cost was like a slap in the face and I paid it anyway because I only needed a bit over a yard.  However, I'm not about to mess this one up and since Monkey Pants measurements are all over the place and not even in the range where this pattern begins, I'm going to hold off on it until Spring next year.

So, I picked something simple to familiarize myself with the Ottobre pattern process and also to make sure I didn't just buy a bunch of magazines I was never going to make anything out of.  I already had this fabric on hand from a clearance find and the Hollywood Cerise #13 from Ottobre 3/2012 seemed like just the thing to use it on.

Monkey Pants is now almost eight but apparently she is only the size of a Finnish toddler.  Her measurements are very frustrating to say the least. You'll see why when I get around to posting about the Audrey Pants #17 from Ottobre 3/2009.  I cut the pattern for the 110cm size (no idea what the US equivalent is).  I shortened it for the tunic effect instead of a dress and omitted the front pockets.  Unfortunately, the pattern doesn't tell you how long to make the tunic.  Why?  I'm not that smart.  I need them to tell me this.  Why couldn't they have a hemline for the tunic version?  So it turned out more of a blouse length than tunic but still, I was quite happy with it non the less.  It fit. The fabrics worked well for the pattern. And most importantly, Monkey Pants wore it despite the old fashioned buttoned back.  Three days in a row. Yay!


By the way, I'm selling Ottobre 1/2009 on Etsy if anyone is interested. --Sold!


  1. From experience, a tunic is approximately 6" shorter than dress. Or better, measure waist to knee and divide in half. Chop off that much. :)


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!

A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.

Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.

The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…