Skip to main content

George cardigan - blocking

Progress on the "George" cardigan has been super fast, super fast for my standards anyway. Finishing in the same year would be fast. Anything above and beyond that, I would consider "super fast".

It did take me several tries to get the right number of stitches added on to the front for the button border, though. It's kind of tricky to get them equally spaced apart and to end up with the right amount by the time you get to the end. I don't know if there's a more organized way to do this. Perhaps you're supposed to count up the number of rows and perform some kind of mathematical formula, but I just used the frustrating and time consuming method of trial and error.


Before this, I had to do the blocking. A term with which I'm only vaguely familiar as I've only done it twice before and with enough years in between to really be a novice at it every time I try. I followed the pattern instructions and did it with the steam iron. Which is probably not the best, especially with cables. Because although it seems fairly fast and efficient at doing the job, it kind of flattens out the cables. I did come to the realization afterwards though, that when the instructions tell you to use a steam iron, they probably mean to just use the steam from the iron and not to actually compress the knitting by putting the iron directly on it which is what I did.


I don't know if true knitting experts would be horrified with this method, but this is what I did. I used pins somewhat sparingly, I guess, and put the pieces wrong side up on the ironing board. I put a damp flannel receiving blanket on top and used the steam iron, gently placing it on top, picking it up, repositioning it to cover the whole piece. It was fast. I re-pinned the piece usually one more time to get the edge nice and straight without the poking and steamed again. I used the tape measure to make sure the arms where ending up the same and the two fronts.


Once, I was done with this, I started piecing everything together. It's been a while, so had to re-learn how to do the mattress stitch. What seemed like a good effort at first, left me with an invisible flat seem on the inside but with three rows of the little braid stockinette stitch on the outside. So I started over and quickly got it figured out.


Now, I just need to finish the collar and pockets.

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something!


A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result.

This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap with …

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right.


Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too.


The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband in…