Saturday, October 3, 2009

Starting to knit again

Along with picking up on some sewing projects, I'd like to start knitting again. There's tons of stuff I'd love to make, but knitting takes so long (for me), I really have to force myself to focus on one thing at a time. I decided to start with a cardigan for my little boy, "George" from Jaeger Handknits JB29. I'm not too game these days to make a trip to the yarn store, so I decided on some yarn from Knit Picks since I need to keep this project budget friendly. After seeing all the gorgeous things made with tweed yarn on Brooklyn Tweed, I picked City Tweed DK yarn in color "Splash" for $3.99/50g ball.

Of course I picked the color off their website and just like last time with the "Jenny" cardigan, the colors on their website are WAY off, so the color I got is totally different from what I thought I was getting. I thought I was getting a light aqua (Splash -like the ocean) and instead it's a more saturated teal green (it's actually more like the color of Utah Lake, which you would only understand if you've seen it, but I mean that in a pretty way). What ever. I like the color anyway, but I'm still very disappointed that the accuracy of their photo color representation on their website has not improved. (Yes, I know color varies with the calibration of your monitor .... blah, blah, blah.)

Moving on. I knit a swatch (well, half a swatch -I'm kind of lazy that way) right away after receiving it in the mail. It came out a little bigger so I decided to knit the 1-2 year old size (my son just turned two but his measurements were closer to the 2-3 year old size, which is weird because he's very small for his age. Hopefully, it fits. I'm so excited that I've already made a little bit of progress in one evening of sitting on the couch watching TV. Here's hoping this one gets done.

2 comments:

  1. I love the patterns in Jaeger Handknits JB29. It is one of my favourite knit magazines. Looking forward to see the result :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently become a new knitter and i love it. I could only dream of making a caridgan for my little girl. Currently i'm on mittens, hat and scarves for the cold weather. :D

    ReplyDelete