Skip to main content

Sailboat Skirt


[pattern photo from oliver + s]
Because I really enjoyed the Jump Rope dress pattern from oliver + s, I decided to get another one, the Sailboat Top, Skirt & Pants pattern to complete an outfit I got at Gymboree for monkey pants. As monkey pants gets older, I'm not drawn to Gymboree's matchy-matchy lines as much but I couldn't resist this adorable panda top and black short sleeve cardigan. I was shopping with coupons so that was all I was going to get. The pants didn't appeal to me that much anyway. There was a cute black denim mini skirt but it also had a panda face on it and I thought that would be a bit much.

[I have to admit, the panda looks a little scary in these pictures. My camera was spazzing out with all the white and black contrast and the white is overexposed and in your face.]
Looking in monkey pants's closet, I realized she has nothing that is red or black so I figured I could make a couple of cute little skirts to go with the outfit. I picked this oliver + s pattern because of it's timeless and classic design of course, even in a non-nautical look.

This skirt got cut and sewn up in a matter of a couple of hours which I find very satisfying. I made size four which fit really well around the waist and hips but I found to be maybe a little shorter than I expected. I think I would have preferred it to be just over the knee. I could have skimped on the folding back for the hem to make it a bit longer, but I wanted to preserve the way it was hemmed so I settled for the mini skirt look. I can always make lots and lots more of these. Also, it has a cute little pleat in the back (ignore the strangely positioned hand; that really is the back).


I was able to make them with 3/4 yards for about $5 each plus buttons. I used black denim for the first one and red corduroy on the second one because this is kind of a wintery outfit. I'm not too excited about my button selection but the buttons had to be black or red to go with the outfit and frankly there just wasn't anything better. (Light aqua or yellow buttons on the black denim would have been super cute). Sadly, I paid about $1.79 for four 3/4" buttons at JoAnns (which visiting, as I've mentioned many times before, leaves me needing to be medicated) and then I found the exact same buttons, different brand, at Walmart for a mere $.69 cents.

I know I'll get a lot of use out of this pattern as it goes up to a size 8. I can see making the skirt and matching top outfits for the Spring.

Comments

  1. I love those skirts, the panda top and the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great outfits! I'm so happy to see that you sewed them in denim and corduroy. I have the same pattern for my five year old and those are the same fabric choices I wanted to use for fall/winter. Once again, you are a very talented seamstress! Beautiful pictures! I have the same thoughts on Gymboree....really like the tops and sweaters but not always the matchy, matchy bottoms. I'm currently trying to sew curtains for that same little five year old and I can't finish them fast enough to move on to clothes, but this has me inspired!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW those are so adorable! I think i'll need to pass this off to my mother in law to make for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely adorable. thanks so much for your hints & tips! i'm learning so much today reading your blog :)

    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Tinkerbell Cake

I made something! A friend of a friend ..... needed a cake made for her daughter's fourth birthday. I came up with a few ideas, trying to keep them uncomplicated. She opted for the more traditional nine inch round cake with decorations. I thought it would be simple enough, but it always ends up taking me way longer than I anticipate. I wish I could go to a professional cake decorating class by Debbie Brown or Rebecca Sutterby so I could learn some techniques like how to get things to stay glued on. I could never be a cake decorator -my time to money ratio is kind of ridiculous. But here it is. Monkey Pants now wants a Tinkerbell cake for her next birthday too, of course. I need to wake up early tomorrow to make sure she's not eating the mushrooms off of it. (It's happened before).

Emmeline Apron 2

Just got done with this one. Another Emmeline Apron for a Christmas gift. I wanted to try something different with my choice of fabrics this time, although not too different since they are still Amy Butler prints. I chose some darker blue fabrics from the Daisy Chain (Aquatic) line that I wouldn't normally be drawn too. But I'm glad I did. I really like the result. This time, I did a few things a bit differently. One thing about the pattern I'm not fond of is the wordy, yet poor instructions on how to place the waist straps onto the sides of the apron at the right angle. I really don't know why the correct angle isn't just printed on the pattern. So to minimize the trial and error approach encouraged in the pattern instructions, [TIP:] I laid out the fabric and the strap as it would appear once constructed and simply marked a line on the strap corresponding to the angle of the apron. Then, I flipped both apron and strap layers over together; lined up the strap wit

Face painting

For my daughter's upcoming birthday party, I decided I might try my hand at face painting. I collected some photos from the internet I liked, check out a book at the library, and bought some face paints at the party store. The face paints are not very cheap but cheaper than hiring a face painter, right. Here's a couple of the faces I've tried so far. Now if I can only get my face painting time down to ten minutes from twenty minutes a face for the party. I think I may have to enlist a volunteer to help out too. The painting part is actually much easier than it would seem. The only thing that makes it challenging is that the canvas is constantly moving around (at least my canvas). It's not too hard to wash off, but the black takes a bit more scrubbing as the paint is grease or oil based. It makes for a fun activity especially as it gets too cold to go outside. My 3-year old thought it was "amazing" when she looked in the mirror. I even talked my husband i